From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:45:31 PST
Bob Kasenchak wrote:

>Of course young musicians care, but your run-of-the-mill non-musician
>college student couldn't care less.  I would like to discuss why.  Lack
>of exposure?

Lack of exposure likely plays a role, but many college students, myself
included, had the exposure but still disregared classical music during
college years.

Other factors might be:

1.  Having their own music - this abstract "ownership" factor is very
significant.  It creates a common bond among young persons.

2.  Peer Pressure - Although young persons like to give off the appearance
of being independent and rebellious, I've always noticed that they really
are strong on conforming with what other young persons are thinking and
doing.

3.  Young persons have high energy and relatively low attention spans.
Those characteristics do not lend themselves to serious music which lasts
substantially longer than a typical rock song.

Considering the above, I think the more applicable question is why would
any college students prefer classical music.  Those who do are in a very
small minority.

Don Satz