From:
Peter Varley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:48:10 GMT
Eric Kisch wrote:

>Among the darkest, scariest and most moving pieces ever is the Schubert
>Quintet in c.  I think we get a chance to peer into a composer's soul in
>the pit of despair.  ...

Yes, more or less.  I find the quintet in C particular, um, (not sure
of the correct adjective - unsettling comes closest, but seems to imply
that the music doesn't appeal to me.  It does, very much so).  To me, the
"lighter" music in the finale is as disturbing as the rest of the work.

For "darkest and scariest", though, there are the slow movements of the
string quartet in G and some of the piano sonatas.

Peter Varley