From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:41:45 -0800
Janet Hyde writes:

>Here in South Africa etv is currently airing a British television programme
>called "Waiting for God" - a sitcom.  The signature tune sounds very much
>like a piano quartet, and is played by the Nash Ensemble.  Does anyone know
>who composed this piece of music, and was it written specially for the
>programme or not?

This is nothing but a shot in the dark: looking at the discography for
the Nash Ensemble I see only one recording of piano quartets, and those
are by Faure.  This is absolutely wonderful music, available on several
fine releases, including the Nash Ensemble on CRD 3403.  Also highly
recommendable are the releases from the Domus Quartet on Hyperion CDA66166,
and, one of my favorites, the amazing Ames Quartet on Dorian DOR-90144.
If you're on a budget and not sure if you'll like Faure, a great place to
start is the 2CD (for about $9-10US) set from Vox (CDX5073) that includes
both piano quartets and both piano quintets by Faure.  This is an excellent
performance, and the favorite of many.  I have no idea about the
availability of these recordings in South Africa.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/