From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:14:13 PST
I finally obtained the CPO release of two Ferdinand Ries symphonies.  For
some reason, I thought Ries was born in the 1780's; upon bying the disc, I
leared that he was born in the 1750's which puts him in the classical era.
 [Ries dates are 1784-1838 - he was Beethoven's junior by 14 years and very
much an early romantic composer.  -Dave]

As classical era symphonies go, the two Ries symphonies are very fine.
They have good melodic invention and variety.  They are not masterpieces
such as Mozart's symphonies 36, 38, and 39, but they are worthy recorded
additions to the symphonic repertoire of the period.

Right, I have not said anything great about these symphonies; I don't
think there's anything outstanding to report.  For those who have enjoyed
the Chandos "Contemporaries of Mozart" series, the Ries disc is a good
recommendation.  Recorded sound is acceptable; it won't impress you or
ruin your enjoyment - I'm sounding like Steve on this one.

Don Satz