From:
Kenneth Robert McGuire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 18:10:36 -0500
Ed Zubrow wrote:

>Reading Schwartzo's recent piece about George Szell helped me understand
>better a recent experience I had with his music.  For Christmas I received
>the Sony Masterworks Heritage Disc (63151) of Dvorak's Symphonies 7, 8 and
>9.  (It also includes the Carnival Overture and Smetana'a Overture to the
>Bartered Bride and Quartet in e minor.) ...
>
>The background information in Steve's review was very helpful.  Now I'm
>eager to know: what are other great Szell recordings? And are there
>dissenters on the list?

Well, I learned much of "The Literature" from my parent's Szell recordings.
There may be a bit of "imprinting" involved here, but here goes anyway...

Beethoven Symphonies and Overtures - Sony Essential Classics
Wagner Highlights from "The Ring" - Sony Essential Classics
Richard Strauss - Don Juan, Till, Death and Transfiguration
Mahler 4 and 6 - Sony Essential Classics
Mousorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition
Haydn London Symphonies (He only seems to have recorded the early ones)
Mozart - Anything you can find, esp. the Clarinet Concerto
Janacek - Sinfonetia
Walton - Partita
Brahms - Symphonies, etc.
Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 5