From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:39:20 +0100
This inquiry is also spawned from a series of British 'historical'
documentaries I've seen recently, several with music by Benjamin Britten,
most made by or in colaboration with filmer John Grierson of the GPO film
unit in the 1930's..

The one film that realy hit me was directed (filmed) by Argentinian Alberto
Cavalcanti, the film *COAL FACE* (1935) had such a strong weave between its
treads (images/sound/music/commentary) that I found it breathtaking.  The
very dark images underlit by the most experemental Britten music I have
ever heard also made me wonder if any of Brittens Film music had found its
way on to recorded media, especially anything from this film - I orded som
books on Britten and British documentary film at my library today to shed
light on this side of Britten, meanwhile I was hoping that there among the
MCML following was someone that could start enlightening me on this
subject.

While at it: there is other threads on film music going on right now,
discussing which and how many films used a composers music; I found that
searching the internet Movie database gives a very good starter on film
music [http://uk.imdb.com/] - it gives comprehensive listings, and thus far
seem to be fairly accurate - searching both Mahler and Bartok listed
several films but for either no original film music (IRC).

Cheers
Peter Lundin
Gothenburg, Sweden