From:
Eric Nagamine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:55:16 -1000
Donald Satz wrote:

>The above route would be much superior to the Philadelphia Orchestra
>having its own label - enhanced visibility and stature.  I realize that a
>few list members think well of the "own label" notion; I do not.  It would
>be inherently limiting without a distribution apparatus, and it's unlikely
>these recordings would be in the retail stores or web sites; that's where
>the money is.  The stature and visibility of the orchestra will just
>stagnate through its own label.

Just because they have their own label doesn't mean that it can't be
distributed well.  Part of the reason why the Phillies want to try to
go out on their own is because of the poor distribution of their product.
Their former EMI producer(now Music Advisor)Simon Wood admitted to me that
EMI's distribution of product was less than great.  The orchestra is in
fact looking at several independent distributors, one of which I know
has world wide experience.  Also, the orchestra can better market their
product.  Imagine promoting their recordings on their web site or in ads in
the NY times.  They could also market their own discs with out the middle
man at their own concerts and tours.  I've head that the VPO has excellent
results just selling discs in the lobby of the Musikverein.  Finally, the
orchestra is looking a niche marketing of it's product.  Based on what i've
heard of the new recording, it'll probably do well in the audiophile
market.

The NYPO has had excellent results from marketing their historic sets
over the web, via selected Tower stores, and with well placed advertising.
To top it off they have better packaging and inserts than anyone around.
At over 5000 copies of a 10 disc set(in a year) and 2500 of a 12 disc
set(in 6 months), I'd say they've done rather well.

Aloha and Mahalo,

Eric Nagamine