From:
Tom Godell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 10:04:36 -0600
Kar-Ming Chong writes:

>Last night, as part of the Festival of Perth, Perth music lovers were
>fortunate enough to have Joaquin Achucarro, a Spanish pianist, performing
>piano pieces by Chopin's Barcarolle in F sharp, Sonata 3.

You were very fortunate indeed.  Mr Achucarro is an outstanding pianist.
The last time I heard him in concert was nearly 20 years ago, with the
Birmingham (Alabama) Symphony.  I was beginning to wonder what had become
of him since then!

>Information from the booklet indicates that Achucarro has completed and
>recorded his revision (at the composer's request) of Rodrigo's Piano
>Concerto.  Also he has prizewinning recordings of Goyecas and the complete
>piano works of Falla.
>
>Can anyone offer information on the label of these recordings and I would
>appreciate more information on this virtually unknown Spanish pianist
>(well, to me anyway).

I have two recordings by Achucarro--both on RCA.  He recorded the Concerto
Macabre of Bernard Herrmann as a part of RCAs Classic Film Score series in
the 70s.  That barn-storming performance has been reissued on CD (along
with Herrmann's Citizen Kane Suite and other film music).  The other disc
I have is an LP of music by Falla, which to my knowledge has never appeared
on CD.  I haven't listened to that old disc in a long time, but my memory
is that the performances were brilliant.

Tom Godell                                      e-mail: [log in to unmask]
General Manager, WSIU-FM                                web: www.wsiu.org
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale