From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:33:43 -0800
Bearing in mind the frequent discussions about both 'new' and 'non-core
repertoire' music (or the lack thereof in performance venues) which haunt
various lists from time to time, I thought fellow Listers might like a
flavor of what is happening in DC over the next few weeks.

The National Symphony Orchestra is running a Percussion Festival at the
Kennedy Center, featuring the following concert programs:

April 8
Gershwin     Cuban Overture
Wallace      Gorilla in a Cage
Masson       Snare Drum Concerto
Schwantner   Percussion Concerto

April 9
Takemitsu     From me flows what you call Time
Reich         Pieces of Wood
Nexus Ensemble (arr)     Tongues
Ravel          Bolero

April 10
Rouse        Der gerettete Alberich
Stephens     Three Symphonic Etudes for Solo Timpani
and Orchestra
Daugherty    UFO (world premiere)
Davies       An Orkney wedding, with sunrise
(featuring Evelyn Glennie on bagpipes!)

Then on April 14, the National Symphony Youth Concert play, in a concert
entitled "Drums, Drums and then Some!":

   Britten      Excerpts from 'YPGO'
   Lully        Overture to Thesee
   Philidor     Marches des Timbales
   Lully        March from Thesee
   Cahn (arr)   Janissary March
   Mozart       Overture to The Abduction rom the Seraglio
   Trad.        Three Camps
   Beethoven    Wellington's Victory, Op. 91
   Green/Becker Spanish March
   Green/Cahn   Fluffy Ruffles - One Step
   Cahn         The Birds

Quite an ambitious program, it seems to me, and it will be very interesting
to see how successful they are in filling the available seats.  Now --
knowing only about a fifth of the music above, it remains for me to put my
money where my mouth is and decide which of these concerts to go to.  Any
help or recommendations gratefully accepted!

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA