From:
Robert Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:12:12 -0500
I am an economics student in addition to being a musician, and the
tension (not to mention the similarities) between the two have always
fascinated me.  While I certainly think that economic analysis is a meager
way of analyzing artistic merit (criteria under economics/utilitarianism
include 1)profitability and 2)magnitude of impact (in the sales sphere
or the social sphere), it's not without its merits here.  Business has a
remarkable way of seeking out buyers and profit.  In terms of classical
music, it certainly has great potential in attracting new audience
members.  We most definitely cannot rely on composers (or intro to music
teachers, for that matter) to do that, because they are tenured to the
tradition-minded academic realm.  I actually like academia, but it's
remarkably poor at the mass interest thing.  So, if record companies can
boost sales via some cheese intro stuff, so be it.  I'd trade in being
able to hear the 13th version of Beethoven 5 in order to know that Alagna
or Tilson Thomas are bringing in new members to the fold.  The fact that
we have so many recordings of the classics is bad only for the poor
professional conductors.  Let them hang their egos up, I say; it's a small
price to pay for winning this rather problematic war over listeners.

Of course, that's not the whole story. I just thought I'd give a cheer to
business (for once).

Question: We all know that the proportion of classical recordings sold
to the total has plummeted since the 50's, but that is not of utmost
concern, as the ability of record companies to market pop effectively has
skyrocketed, especially with the advent of the compact disc.  Naturally,
a highly advanced form of music is going to already have hit its ratings
peak.  My question is whether the absolute number of recordings sold has
gone down.  That, I think, is more important.  (Also, the proportion of the
population that owns classical recordings, which is perhaps more accurate
than the number sold, as the average teenager/college student buys the
latest pop albums at astonishing rates now).

Robert Shaw (not reincarnated)
Wake Forest University