From:
Bill Drewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 00:26:05 -0600
Jonathon Ellis wrote glowingly about the Chailly/Concergebouw Mahler 5th:

>Now, all you Mahler addicts out there: is Chailly's version so different
>to those I may have heard in the past? Is it so superior as to convince me
>of the quality of the music? Or is it just that Mahler appeals more to
>somebody who has just past fifty than to somebody a lot younger? And where
>do I go from here? To "Das Lied"? To other symphonies? Tell me - I am
>thirsting for more.....

This release was my favorite Mahler release last year, and is my current
personal favorite Mahler 5th due its precision, clarity, vigor, and
probably due to very fond memories of the orchestra's road trip to Chicago
to present the same work live -- and equally well.  You may want to visit
Jason Greshes' website:

   http://www.netaxs.com/~jgreshes/mahler

as there is a section there about how you might want to approach Mahler
based on your current music preferences.  (I started with the 2nd symphony,
and personally fine the 2nd/5th/4th the easiest to approach; but I also
liked Das Lied very much, as I am an opera nut -- same for the 8th.)

I don't know that it is a matter of age, though I liked Mahler best as a
teenager and after 45, fwiw.

If you liked the Chailly 5th, here are some other Mahler recordings I think
you might like.  I'd emphasize that there may well be many *others* you
also might like, too:

2nd: Rattle/CBSO/Auger/Baker/EMI, possibly Bernstein/DG
4th: Haitink/BPO/McNair, or the already mentioned Kletzki
8th: Sinopoli/DG, possibly Bernstein/SONY if opulent sound not
      a requirement, and some like Tennstedt/EMI, though the
      chorus is smallish and to me the sound seems manipulated
3rd: Sinopoli/DG or Thomas/SONY or Bernstein/DG or SONY
1st: Bernstein/DG, or Kubelik/DG for lots of excitement if not
      great sound
6th: Sanderling/RS, or possibly Bernstein/DG
7th: Chailly/London, since you liked the 5th; or Bernstein/DG or
      Abbado/CSO/DG
9th: Difficult to recommend: perhaps Barbirolli/BPO/EMI or the newish
      Rattle/VPO/EMI.  I am fond of the first 3 movements of the
      Boulez/CSO/DG, the last movement of the von Karajan/BPO/DG
      digital, Bernstein/BPO/DG, the idiosyncratic Sinopoli/DG, and
      (perhaps unfashionably) Abbado/VPO/DG, among others.
Das Lied: Giulini/DG (not all like these singers, though), or
      Klemperer/EMI (recently remastered I think), or Horenstein
      on Music and Arts (fine performance if not super sound).

If you try any of these, I would be interested in what you think of them.

Happy listening,
Bill Drewett
[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask] (work)