From:
Joseph Previte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:38:45 -0600
David Stewart asks:

>I am looking for a complete set of recordings of B's Piano Sonata's. Could

Schnabel, uhmmm,...Schnabel and, uhmmmmmm,...Schnabel.  Yea, thats about
it for complete versions, at least until Kovacevich completes his.  Oh!
Oh!  Oh!  How could I forget!  Annie Fischer's 9th and final installment
in her long awaited complete and superb cycle of the Sonatas was released
in November!  That is another set I can recommend without reservation.
Probably a better way to go, as in many instances, is to collect versions
by different pianists.  Most of Gilels Beethoven (unfortunate he was a few
sonatas shy of completing his cycle) is great, same with all of Moravec's,
Lupu's, and much of Serkin's.  And actually I found Ashkenazy's cycle
(early) on London consistently satisfying.  Good luck!

JPrevite