From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:00:34 -0500
Marcus Maroney wrote:

>There are so many glaring omissions from this list!  Where are Ligeti,
>Berio, Birtwistle, Norgard, Xenakis, George Benjamin, Thomas Ades, many
>others.   ...

Well, I didn't choose the programs, so I won't defend them.  I too would
have selected many other works, but my taste, as well as yours, is far from
that of the average Philadelphia audience member, and an orchestra in the
real world has to take that into consideration.  Also, as I said earlier,
their purpose was more to commemorate their own centennial than to present
a representative picture of 20th century music.

>The season, in fact, doesn't seem to be much different than regular
>programming except that there isn't the standard Brahms symphony,
>Beethoven Symphony and Piano Concerto, and Tchaikowsky's Violin Concerto

That's what is eliciting howls of protest in certain circles.

>And what's with so much Peter Schickele???

With so much serious stuff, I guess the concert-goers need a little comic
relief, too.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]