From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:15:22 -0500
Once again, Shostakovich's "Leningrad" Symphony (No.7) takes a beating in
the press.  Arguably the most maligned symphony of the century now passing,
the "Leningrad" is picked apart anew in the New York Times (Feb.22) in a
review of a Brooklyn Philharmonic performance under Robaret Spano.  All the
same adjectives we have heard since the work's premiere in this country in
1942 are trotted out again:  bland, dull, boring, embarrassing.  Surely the
same might be said of a few other works of the last hundred years to which
instead we continue to pay reverent lip service (the Sibelius Fourth comes
to mind).  Why is the "Leningrad" such fair game? Any comments?

John Dalmas