From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:07:12 -0500
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Ulvi Yurtsever ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>Well there is Walter and Solti, for two more great ones.
>
>SOLTI!!??? Should never have been allowed near Bruckner.

Solti hasn't exactly enthralled me with his Bruckner, but I do like his
7th with the Vienna Philharmonic very much.  It has a very nice glow to
it--the VPO is splendid--and Solti is less charged than usual.  The great
sound helps immensely.  The LP was coupled with a beautiful chamber version
of Sigfried Idyll.  The 8th from the same period, also with the VPO, is not
nearly as good.  Actually, last time I listened, it wasn't good at all.
It has that same good sound, but it's not enough this time around.

Roger Hecht