From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 00:36:38 -0800
Deryk Barker wrote regarding Harold Moore's Records:

>I'm afraid my experience has been rather less positive - although I've
>only visited the store half a doxzen or so times.
>
>Also, some of their staff can be incredibly snotty and condescending - I
>have nearly walked out on occasion, I've been so offended by something an
>assistant has said.

I never mind a bit of that.  I much prefer it to the "smile training" you
come accross so often in modern stores.  Part of the appeal of the place.
I know someone who once went in for a CD of Janet Baker and was promptly
given a lecture on her "dreadful" North of England accent.  He was allowed
him to leave with the disc concerned, though feeling he had just been given
detention by the Headmaster.  Hard to find CDs AND an education!  What more
could you want? ;-)

On at least three occasions I have had to pick my way through the younger
assistants enjoying cigarettes on the step outside.  Maybe they were just
gasping for a drag when you went in Deryk.

I have to say, though, that Harold himself once gave me a free copy of
Gramophone when I told him I was from out of town.  "Something to read
on the train," he said.

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.