From:
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:38:37 +1300
Jim MacCormaic <[log in to unmask]> asks:

>Unfortunately I already have alternative recordings of everything on the
>Double Decca Geoffrey Gaskell mentioned -- apart from the Violin Concerto,
>which I have yet to hear.  Do either of you know if other recordings are
>available, or is this performance good enough to justify so much
>duplication?

As far as I know, even if anyone else has in fact recorded it, the
Schneiderhan recording is the only one currently available.  The
performance is of a standard that makes it a top choice whether or not
there is any competition.  Usually if one waits, and waits, and waits for
a few months or perhaps years, desirable things such as this are recoupled.

>Thanks to Eric for the Piano Concerto recommendation, which
>I will certainly look into.

Ditto.

Geoffrey Gaskell [log in to unmask]
http://freeweb.digiweb.com/music/Gustav_Mahler/