From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:24:05 PST
Shane Wesley wrote:

>Yes it is true.  CM enthusiasts are a dying breed.  You can't
>really blame Tower for their shrinking selection.  They can't really
>afford to keep up a large one if no one's buying.

That's a mighty bleak assessment which I do not subscribe to.  What's the
evidence for the "dying breed" and "no one's buying" theme? I think that
stores, in general, are decreasing their classical inventories based on
poor market analysis and competition from web sites.  The typical Tower
or Borders assumes that their classical sales are receding due to lower
demand; I say that their sales are receding due to increasingly skimpy
inventories which are causing buyers to go elsewhere - home to the
computer.

Towers could initiate an excellent advertising campaign for its classical
music products.  It chooses not to; it's just easier to "let it go" and
concentrate on the much larger pop and country genres.

Don Satz