From:
Derek Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:52:18 +0800
To my ears, it's not only Das Lied von der Erde that has Chinese influence.
Sections of the Adagio, particularly a very poignant flute solo part also
has that Chinese feel to it.  In Das Lied, I think it's not only in the
third movement that he tries to make a "Chinese" feel.  This is also in
the second movement, and a little in the fourth movement, when he uses the
mandolin, an instrument he usually only uses in the "spiritual" portions
of his work.  Mahler never composed a part just to let the player play a
little more of the piece, so I must conclude that he was trying to induce
an atmosphere of sorts in the fourth movement.  The last movement is full
of that pseudo-Chinese turn, and a kind of "Zen" feel is implied I think.

Derek