From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 00:57:22 GMT
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>This is not the first time in recent weeks that a list member has
>seen fit to trash Marriner.  It is a pity that we should stoop to such
>measures.  Marriner is a fine musician who has done much excellent work,
>both in the concert hall and the recording studio.  That he does not appeal
>to everybody on the list is regrettable, but no excuse for such unjust -
>and unfounded - remarks.  If we are going to be critical - let us at least
>try to be constructive.  A blanket condemnation does little to promote
>informed debate.

I've grown up with Marriner and am deeply indebted to many of his
performances, mostly recorded. Most of them became my "standard" by
which I judged others, and in many cases his interpretation remained
favorites, and in cases where they didn't, I was still in his debt.

I could cite hundreds of CDs where his output has help spread the good
news of classical music and won the encomium of scholars and critics
alike. If and when he falters, well, he's not superhuman.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco