From:
Peter Name <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:29:15 -0400
Hi, colleagues:  I have encountered a couple more pentatonic musical bits
into Kodaly's Hary Janos Suite.  The first, which I have always thought had
an Oriental sound, is in the main melody of the second part, "The Viennese
Musical Clock" which I find, on further listening, could be said to use a
pentatonic scale but with the 6th.  degree of the corresponding major scale
omitted.  Also, the very beginning of the 6th.  part of the suite, "The
Entrance of the Emperor and His Court" employs a pentatonic, as I hear it.

Any views on these?

Cheers!  Peter