From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:59:00 -0600
David Stewart wrote:

>I bought the Dream of Gerontius as recommended by many of you.  I got the
>Boult recording as I was told it is reliable.  I have listened to it with
>and without the score but I am pretty sure most of it is going over my
>head.  There are bits which I can relate to but I don't think I am quite
>getting the rest.

David, I think that you would understand this work better if you take into
account that it is very, very Catholic (large C) in its scope.  If you are
not yourself a Roman Catholic, you might do a little research into Cardinal
Newman (who wrote the text) and to Catholic theology in general.  Perhaps
if you reviewed the poem with a Priest, you might glean some insights.
It is a stunning work!  Stick with it and it will reward you greatly!

Kevin Sutton