From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:53:04 PST
J.P.  Hartmann, a Danish composer, was born in the early 1800's.  His
compositions are in an early romantic vein.  I had gone into a music sales
web site to buy the new disc of his overtures on Dacapo.  That disc was not
listed yet, but I noticed one containing his 1st and 2nd symphonies on the
same label.  Bought it - played it a few times - would like to give my
impressions.

The symphonies are played by the Danish National Radio Symphony conducted
by Thomas Dausgaard.  The recorded sound is very good, and the performance
is highly professional.  The two symphonies are relatively angst-free works
having memorable melodies and some fanfare passages.

Overall, I am impressed with Hartmann's symphonies.  Actually, I prefer
them to those of Gade, and liken them to the symphonies of Spohr.

Don Satz