From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:30:59 PST
Jon Johanning wrote:

>Whenever I knock popular music on this list, someone responds with
>the example of the Beatles.  My reply is in two parts: (a) They may
>resemble Schubert and Schumann in some ways, but my position is, why
>not go for the real Schubert and Schumann, and not a pale imitation.

I think that Jon has indicated in the past that he was not a rock fan while
growing up, and it shows.  Forget Schubert and Schumann; I can't think of
any reason to make these kinds of comparisons.  Every young generation
wants and makes sure that it has its OWN music - it's not for anyone else
but them.  Back in the sixties and eary seventies, when I was listening to
the Beatles, Stones, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, and Jethro Tull, classical
composers had no standing, significance, or relevance.

For mature adults to complain about the music of the young is a wasted
effort.  Also, there's no good reason for folks of my generation to state
that the Beatles,etc.  were far better than the rock artists of today.  We
haven't got a clue.  I do think it's important to try to keep in mind the
feelings and views we possessed back then.  My, how quickly we forget.

Don Satz