From:
Mark Shanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:50:38 -0700
Chris Bonds writes:

>I own it.  It's competent, but I am still looking for the perfect (Verdi)
>requiem (and the perfect piece of carrot cake).  The trumpets are out of
>tune in the Tuba Mirum, but I haven't heard a recording yet where they
>are in tune.  If someone has their perfect version, let me know!

I can't help with the carrot cake (I don't like creamed cheese!) but the
recording of the Verdi Requiem *I* find most personally satisfying is the
Fricsay live performance on DG.  It IS in mono, but that shouldn't dissuade
any but the sonic thrill-seekers.

That said - I really don't find the Verdi Requiem the most
"soul-satisfying" of the (surprisingly large number of) Requiems.  All too
many of them seem to go for the obvious dramatic gestures.  (Here I refer
to the setting of the familiar Catholic ritual, not to include the assorted
non-liturgical memorial pieces such as Brahms's, Britten's, and others.) Of
those traditional-text versions, I am most comforted? consoled? healed? by
Ockeghem's and Faure's.

Mark