From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 23:06:33 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>I have the opportunity to get a great deal, price-wise, on two particular
>recordings; one is the Dvorak violin concerto on London performed by Pamela
>Frank, the other is the Schumann symphony set conducted by Dohnanyi.
>
>I'd like recommendations on these cd's.  Thanks in advance.

Don - I heard Pamela Frank do the Dvorak with CvD and the Cleveland and
if the recording is anything like that performance, you're in for a treat.
She's also done (some/all?) the Beethoven violin and piano sonatas with her
father, Claude Frank.  The three I heard them do last year were an evening
of music-making that seemed to come from the 1930s, a la Busch/Serkin.
Extraordinary.

I don't know the Schumann symphonies set.  The one with Szell and the
Cleveland, recently reissued on the Sony Historical series is supposed to
be well nigh definitive.  Hope these recommendations don't come too late.

Eric Kisch