From:
John Bell Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 10:41:44 -0500
Henk van Tuijl writes:

>Heard today on the radio Pizarro's recording of Rachmaninoff's 3d.  He
>seems to have won Leeds a few years ago.  What has happened with him since
>then?

Artur is living in London these days, or should I say, just outside of it.
As you probably know, his record label, Collins Classics, went under, so
I expect we'll be hearing him soon enough on a new one.  The recording
to which you refer was just released recently, and is very good indeed.
However, Artur, who played one of the greatest Rach 3s I've ever heard
in his winner's performance at the Leeds back in '89 (I think) - and of
which I have a privately made tape - was evidently not as happy with
the performance on the current disc, first rate though it is.  But his
instincts are right, in that it's tame by comparison with the earlier
performance, which simply jump off the page with a kind of visceral
intensity and compelling musicality that certainly brings Horowitz to
mind, and then some.

In any case, Artur is working hard, and playing everywhere, but not as much
here in the States as in Europe.  He will give several concerts in Rome in
2000 in connection with the millenium celebrations, and one of them will
include a two piano recital.  with our mutual friend, the Michelangeli
protege and a phenomonal pianist in her own right, Valarie Alexandra
Valois.

John Bell Young