From:
Lionel Choi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 15:30:36 +0800
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>French Suites - I have a soft spot for Gavrilov on EMI

I second this, although the one I've heard is on DG, not EMI.  Did he
record these works for EMI as well? And like Don, I also second his Angela
Hewitt recommendation.

For the English Suites, you can't go very wrong with Murray Perahia, who
has already completed his survey of all 6 suites with the release of the
2nd CD just a couple of weeks ago.

Are you interested in the Goldbergs? I am expecting many good things from
Tureck's old HMV recording, due to be released by Philips on Tureck's 2nd
set in the Great Pianists Series.  I also enjoy Charles Rosen (Sony), who
also does splendid work on the Art of Fugue.

And if you like the harpsichord, then let me tell you that I'm at the
present moment finding immense pleasure in Christophe Rousset's performance
on Oiseau-Lyre...  which must count for something, considering that I'm
normally really not very fond of the harpsichord at all!

I don't like Gould.  Nor am I convinced by Andras Schiff's way of turning
crystalline Bach passages into indulgent pseudo-Romantic mush.

Lionel Choi
Singapore
http://www.singnet.com.sg/~lionelc/dummies.html