From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:03:38 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>Musical Offering - Ulvi's choices are right on target; Nikolayeva's
>selections on Hyperion are outstanding.

I would - predictably, I suppose - suggest that you look at the Seon
release with Leonhardt, Kohnen, and Kuijken.  It is available at a budget
price.  I don't think anybody plays the Ricercare better than Leonhardt.

>Art of The Fugue - Ulvi's recommendation of Nikolayeva is perfect.  On
>harpsichord, I like Gilbert on Archiv.  Try out Marriner for the "Offering"
>and "Fugue" on a Philips duo.

And try out the Keller Quartett for Art of Fugue.  Truly wonderful.  For a
totally new appreciation of Art of Fugue, try the Berlin Saxophone Quartet.
It sounds odd - but it works.

Jonathan