Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:29:54 -0500
From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Derek Lim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The fourth's structure is wonderful, and I speak of it with only
>admiration and awe.  The chaconne is indeed a fascinating movement, and
>I find it brilliant.  Are there similar movements in symphonic writing?

Well, probably not similar (I'll have to search in my memories), but your
post reminded me of two chaconne final movements in 20th-century music:
Valen's 4th Symphony and Tubin's 6th.  I have to listen to Valen's again
I love Valen, for instance his 3d symphony and the magnificent violin
concerto, but I don't know the 4th well enough as yet), but for Tubin's
6th, it took me some time before I overcame the feeling that "atonal"
chaconnes are a bit constrained, and realize what a beautifully wrought
movement this one is.  Neeme Jarvi's recording on Bis is very close to
perfection...  even if I perhaps prefer Symphony No.  8 as a whole.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le