Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 20:07:00 -0800
From:
Simon Corley <[log in to unmask]>
Marcus Maroney wrote:

>Any opinions on Krystian Zimerman and Pierre Boulez in the Ravel Piano
>Concerti.  This disc has received rave reviews from just about every major
>critic (recording of the month in both Gramophon and BBC Music Magazine).
>Any opinions on how the G major rates w/ Michaelangeli or Argerich or
>Entremont (I've been a sucker for the Entremont/Ormandy recording for
>years)? Also, any ideas when it will be available in the US?

I'll stick to my old favourites:
Marguerite Long with Ravel himself (1932) for the G major, and Alfred
Cortot with Charles Muench (1939) for the Left hand, both on EMI.

But I also appreciate some more recent versions:  Haas with Galliera (I
do not remember on which label) and Francois with Cluytens (EMI once more)
for both of the concertos, Argerich and Michelangeli - although not very
idiomatic - for the G major.

There's also a charming tour de force, as you say in English, of Bernstein
conducting (live, 1971, DG) the G major from the keyboard, with the Wiener
Philharmoniker.  But who do you think is having problems with the notes?
Not the pianist, but the orchestra!  Funny to hear at certain moments such
an orchestra almost lost.  But I must admit that it was probably difficult
for them to play such a work without a real conductor.  Even Ravel and
Marguerite Long are nearly lost in the final presto of the G major.

However, I'm very impatient to listen to the Zimerman/Boulez.

Simon Corley
Paris, France