Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:11:49 -0500
From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Pete Krostag wrote:

>...  I know they should be critical about some points, but let's be
>absolutely honest, the NY Philharmonic has had some great conductors
>in the past and they were blasted.  Personality conflicts maybe?

To be fair, the NYP has been known as the "graveyard of conductors."
I can't say I'm privy to any of this stuff directly, but I recall
stories over the years.  After Toscanini left with his iron rule, they
ate Barbirolli for lunch in one of the low points of the great conductor's
career.  They were very tough on Mitropoulos, too, I think.  Bernstein made
do by getting along with them, so I'm told, but he had plenty of problems
with them.  There is a story around that they even gave it to Szell during
one of his guest appearances.  I'm told they don't like Masur, who is tough
on them.  The same may have been true of Boulez.  Coincidentally, they got
better after lapses under previous conductors under both these maestros.
This is a veryed talent orchestra and always has been, but they don't
always sound it, and they have had lapses under conductors like Bernstein
(and highs, too, of course) and Mehta.  But when they're on, or playing
under someone who can control them . . . wow.

>I read the Bio on Bernstein recently and he was constantly criticized for
>things during his tenure as the director.  He did quite a bit for symphonic
>music in that decade that will last for a very long time.

True, of course.

Roger Hecht