Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:41:18 -0800
From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Bill Drewett writes:

>My overall favorite remains Sinopoli, in generally magnificent sound
>that reflects much of what the work sounded like live in San Francisco --
>thrilling, that is.

I also saw the 8th live with MTT--I always have great fun hearing the
symphony live but this was the first time that I felt myself become
overwhelmed by the shear magnitude of piece of music.  The orchestral coda
almost brought tears to my eyes and I'm not really an emotional person.

Anyway, as it is many times with Sinopoli's interpretations, the "molding"
of phrases and textures that is so gratifying to me in some performances,
(Elgar's first, Strauss' Elecktra and Solome, Scriabin's "Poem of
Ecstacy"), sometimes destroys forward momentum in others.

His Mahler 8th definitely has the best 1st mov't I have ever heard, (this
side of wax cylinders), but the 2nd falls apart.

So I live with the Segerstam.  I hope Chailly, Levine, Rattle, or
Boulez will record it in the future.  (I hear Boulez is considering the
alternative performing version for piano, strings without first violins,
and male choir--his performance will be the first to fit on one CD which
will include the Adagio of the 10th):)

John Smyth