Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:25:41 -0500
From:
Dan Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Because of the recent threads on MCML and the encouragement of my
>on-line friends, I have obtained yet another recording of the string
>quartets of Bartok.  I am going to make another valiant effort to
>get my arms around these.  I chose The Emersons on DG.  First, it is
>the recording I had previously.  Second, many of you recommended it.
>Third, I purchased it through BMG for under $15.00!

Congrats; it's a great recording of some great pieces.

>My plan is to bring these into my office and play them as background
>music at first.  An odd suggestion because I have never encouraged
>classical music be used that way -- but I will take that suggestion
>quite seriously in an attempt to break through these pieces.

That technique actually does work very well.  After you've heard something
passively a few times, and have absorbed some of its sounds and dimensions,
active listening can become much more worthwhile.

>I have not had a high regard for much of the music of the 20th
>century and perhaps I never will, but my horizons are expanding and
>I have acquired a new appreciation for Bartok's 3rd Piano Concerto
>and his 1st Violin Concerto over the past year, so maybe it is time
>to reacquaint myself with his quartets in 1999.

I'm not familiar with the Violin Concerto, but I will warn you that none
of the quartets are as immediately approachable as the 3rd Piano Concerto.
I will recommend the 2nd Piano Concerto and the Concerto for Orchestra if
you haven't heard those before.

I think the 5th quartet is the easiest to get into.  It's very striking;
I still remember hearing the opening of it for the first time and thinking
WOW.

Listen to one at a time; if you start off listening to 70 minutes of Bartok
quartets at a time you'll just get fatigued.

Have fun!

Dan Schmidt -> [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]