Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:29:25 +1100
From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Don Satz enthuses:

>Overall, I am impressed with Hartmann's symphonies.  Actually, I prefer
>them to those of Gade, and liken them to the symphonies of Spohr.

I think they're better than Spohr's, which I like well enough but there's
a sort of mustiness about them.  A G&S line mentions Spohr and Beethoven in
the same breath, suggesting that at the time Gilbert esteemed them equally
and assumed his audience did too.  How things change!  I much prefer his
double quartets and nonet.  There are also many volumes of string quartets
which someone at Fanfare loves - has any Lister explored these?

BTW, Don, did you ever get to hear your friend's Ries symphonies? We had a
capsule review from Richard Todd but I'd be interested in others' opinions.

Richard Pennycuick