From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:39:36 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> So now it's time to remove Apistan (45 days)
> but I would have to open my hives and it is too cold, like 40 degrees F. Do I just go ahead and
> do it? Also, we are trying to winter over a small
> swarm hive. Should we be feeding it now, again
> it's 40 degrees F or less, it does still have honey stores of it's own of course.

  1)  Obviously, you just go ahead and remove the strips.  You don't need to take out any frames
to do this. (Only be careful not to break the support tabs off when you remove the strips, of
course.)
2) How big is your "small" swarm hive?  How many hive bodies?  If only one, I would recommend
combining it with a large hive (just set the hive body on top of the upper recipient hive body -
there will be no problem adjusting).  If two, but the cluster is in one, just combine that one
with a good hive.  If two, but the cluster is split, combine both hive bodies with two different
strong hives.  It's better to do this than have the small colony lost because of its inability to
conserve heat during winter.  I wouldn't even worry about the queen.  The bees will solve that on
their own.  And you don't  have to feed, since hopefully the combined colony will now have
adequate stores.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA