HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 23:02:20 +0100
Daniel H. Weiskotten schrieb:
> Ron May wrote:
>
> >I saw it on TV this evening. Oh, I see this right along with the 1968 Chinese
> >purge of academia, Anwar Sadat's proposal to bury all the mummies, and all
> >the other mindless religio-political destructions of the World's culture.
>

> Or, perhaps, some food for thought ... implementation of NAGPRA in the USA?

        interesting POV, and i was sort of wondering when someone would come up
with it -
        but i think that's something different - human remains are not cultural
objects - there are also special laws here in germany protecting religious
beliefs (special laws for protection of "religious buildings" added into the
other monument protection legislation) which would seem to cover the rest of
NAGPRA's focus -
        i also think that archaeologists - especially if archaeology is seen (as
it is in N america) as being a branch of anthropology - should be a little more
open to "foreign" viewpoints and beliefs - otherwise how successful are we going
to be looking at that "foreign country" the past? i'm sort of appalled sometimes
how fixated some of us can be on finds, forgetting that the ultimate aims
are things like studying human behaviour and explaining the past (and our own
relevance) to the public -

geoff carver
http://home.t-online.de/home/gcarver/