HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Austin, Stephen P SWF" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:36:25 -0500
The particular one I am referencing (but not identifying as there are many
which were treated the same way) appeared to be disturbed on the surface for
about one to two foot in depth, but then appeared as if the operator knew
where the shaft was and followed the outline of the old shaft down to the
coffin or vault and removed what they could.  I would suspect that any
coffins that were inside of vaults were removed essentially intact (the
vaults collapse as well), but simple coffin burials or coffins with shaft
liners were generally shredded during removal.  One participant in a public
meeting at another location told me he was on the construction crew hired to
remove burials and simply described as a bucket scoop on some burials,
leaving behind most of the burial, and placing any maker on the truck for
transport to the new site.

Stephen P. Austin