HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 02:07:04 -0400
This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by Imogene Lim [log in to unmask]

Historical Archaeology

A different twist on collecting and antiquities.

Imogene Lim

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Celebrate American History with a NYTimes.com Screensaver
NYTimes.com has created an Americana screensaver that captures
unique moments in history from The New York Times Photo Archives.
Enjoy these images every day on your PC, absolutely free.
(Unfortunately at this time our screensavers are only available for
PC users.)

http://www.nytimes.com/partners/screensaver/index.html?eta

Collector Joins Watchdog Panel on Antiquities

August 15, 2000
By  WILLIAM H. HONAN

The White House has touched off a furor in the  rarified world of
archaeology by  announcing     the appointment of Shelby White, a
wealthy New  York collector of antiquities, to a seat on a
government committee formed to help combat   illicit international
trade in such objects.

 Ms. White, who was named to the panel last  week, is known to many
archaeologists as the  wife of the financier Leon Levy, who shares
her  passion for antiquities and is an avid collector  himself.

 The couple, owners of one of world's finest  private collections
of classical artifacts, have a  reputation for generosity in
sponsoring archaeological fieldwork, research and publication. But
as collectors they have frequently stirred anger  among
archaeologists. While most collectors are  chiefly interested in
owning objects, archaeologists generally focus on the preservation
of  archaeological sites.

 Collectors and archaeologists are also often at  odds over the
issue of  theft. Archaeologists  generally take the position that
collectors  encourage illegal traffic by creating a market for
antiquities. But  reputable collectors insist that they take  pains
to check the  provenance of objects  they acquire.

 Among those who  wrote to President  Clinton on Ms. White's
behalf were Katherine  Lee Reid, president of  the Association of
Art  Museum Directors and  director of the Cleveland Museum of Art,
who called her  "uniquely qualified";  and Glen W. Bowersock, an
internationally respected professor of ancient history at the
Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, who said  she would make
"an admirable representative  of the nonprofessional community of
collectors."

 But such sentiments are far from unanimous.  "It's like putting a
fox in charge of the chicken  coop," Nancy Wilkie, president of the
11,500-member Archaeological Institute of America,  said of the
appointment. "Shelby White is known  to everyone in the archaeology
community as a  voracious collector who seems to show no concern
for protecting our heritage."

 "We lobbied against her appointment last  June, and we thought it
was dead,"  Ms. Wilkie said.

 Malcolm Bell, a professor of art  history and archaeology at the
University of Virginia who has studied  the records of the
collection of Ms.  White and Mr. Levy, asked,  "How  can she serve
on this committee  when she is opposed to the idea that  caused the
committee to be  formed?"

 Ms. White, who adamantly insists  that her critics  have not been
able to  prove that she owns looted art, said  that her unsalaried
appointment was  consistent with the legislation that  created the
committee.

 "The original idea was to have a  representative body of people --
scholars, collectors, dealers and lay  people -- to reach balanced
decisions  that would better aid the president  and the secretary
of state as to what  can be brought into the country and  what
can't," she said, adding that  such decisions should not be left
only  to professionals.

 Tony Bullock, chief of staff for  Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan,
the New York Democrat who is Ms.  White's sponsor for the job, said
that  the lobbying effort against her by the  Archaeological
Institute had backfired.

 "It prompted 20 to 30 carefully  reasoned letters saying that
Shelby  White is exactly the sort of person  who belongs on the
committee," Mr.  Bullock said. "The original legislation, which was
drafted by Senator  Moynihan, wasn't aimed at creating  a panel of
people who agreed about  everything. It envisioned passionate
disagreements. That is its strength."

 One of the letter writers supporting Ms. White's appointment,
James  Cuno, director of the Harvard Art  Museums, acknowledged
that her  collecting practices had drawn criticism. But he said
that he regarded  Ms. White and Mr. Levy as "public  collectors who
make every effort to  share their collections with the public."

 Speaking for herself, Ms. White  said she was eager to serve on
the  panel, officially known as the Cultural Property Advisory
Committee,  "to be a voice for the collecting community."

 "I've had broad experience as a  collector and archaeologist," she
said. "I'm aware of the various archaeological sites. I go on digs
every  summer. I'm involved in publication  in the field. I serve
on the board of  the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and  I want to be
helpful."

 On occasion Ms. White and Mr.  Levy have been hard pressed to
defend their acquisitions. About seven  years ago, for example,
they bought  a dazzling second-century bronze  and silver miniature
model of a leopard, one in a collection of 16 such  objects that
they own  that are suspected of having been  surreptitiously
removed from Roman ruins in  Icklingham, England.

 After  claimants to the property  threatened to sue for the
recovery of  the items, which were considered to  be among the most
important archaeological discoveries in the last  50 years, a
settlement was reached  in which Ms. White and Mr. Levy  bequeathed
all 16  objects to the  British Museum.

 The 11-member government committee was established in 1983, in
response to widespread concern  about the looting of archaeological
sites in poor countries like Guatamala and Peru. Composed of
scholars, dealers, collectors and representatives of the public,
its mandate  is to provide the president with recommendations on
archaeological  and ethnographic materials that, if  pillaged,
would jeopardize a country's cultural patrimony.

 If the president (or in practice, the  State Department) is
convinced that  such a danger exists, importation of  cultural
articles from that country  may be restricted.

 Establishment of the committee --  part of United States adherence
to a  1970 Unesco convention -- was  stalled in Congress for more
than a  decade  because of pressure from the  Art Dealers
Association and other  groups and from legislators like Senator
Moynihan, who argued that the  Cultural Property Advisory
Committee, as set up in the 1983 implementing bill, was too
narrowly based to be  workable.

 Senator Moynihan broke the deadlock with compromise legislation
that included the broadening of the  committee's membership,
although  many advocates for a more powerful  committee maintained
that his solution was unnecessarily weak.

 Nevertheless, the committee has   in recent years  successfully
urged  the establishment of import restrictions on antiquities from
El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, Mali and Canada, and on cultural
property from  Cyprus and Cambodia.

 The criticism of the appointment  of Ms. White seems unlikely to
fade  away soon. Claire Lyons, a former  vice president of the
Archaeological  Institute of America who specialized  in
professional responsibility and  ethics, said: "I'm deeply
concerned  about this intended appointment.  People who buy art
from countries  where there is a serious threat of  looting get
caught in a conflict of  interest that undermines the faith of  the
public in the committee."

 Ms. Wilkie pointed to another example of controversial art in Ms.
Shelby's collection. "She bought the  top half of a Heracles
statue, the  bottom half of which is in the Anatalya Museum," on
the southern coast  of Turkey, Ms. Wilkie said. "Everybody knows
the two pieces fit together, and that her half was looted, but  she
says there is no proof of that and  at the same time has never
allowed  plaster casts to be made which would  settle the matter."

 Ms. White said that she and Mr.  Levy had long ago given the
piece to  the  Museum of Fine Arts in Boston  and that she had
offered to have  plaster casts of the statue made but  that no one
was interested.

 She added that discovering pieces  of antiquities that appear to
have  been broken apart and that wound up  in separate collections
was quite  common. "But that's no reason to  return a piece," she
added.

 She said she viewed the criticism  of her appointment as part of a
bigger dispute. "I don't think this is a  personal attack because
none of  these people have ever met me," she  said. "I serve on a
lot of boards like  the Met Museum. I think it's a attack  on
them."

  &nbsp;

The New York Times on the Web
http://www.nytimes.com

/-----------------------------------------------------------------\

Visit NYTimes.com for complete access to the most authoritative
news coverage on the Web, updated throughout the day.

Become a member today! It's free!

http://www.nytimes.com?eta

HOW TO ADVERTISE
New York Times on the Web, please contact Alyson
Racer at [log in to unmask] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

Copyright 2000 The New York Times Company