HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 11:35:02 +0800
I have been following this thread with interest as I have just unexpectedly
(on the afternoon of the last day of course) recovered a lot of artefacts (a
dustbin full) from a monitoring job at a footie oval. In the rush of
recovering them I thought the dump was of domestic rubbish used as fill to
extend the back of the bank.  The stuff has been burned as per this thread.
However, on a slightly closer inspection I am not sure it is domestic in
origin, the range of materials is narrower then what I would expect, it
might be from the tea rooms and pavilion that used to be in the oval
grounds.

Has anyone out there done any work on the percentages of different materials
or the range of artefact classes in 20th century town or household rubbish
dumps? Please keep in mind that my client is not interested in the results
of the monitoring and is not going to pay for me to catalogue that amount of
material let along analyse it so any methodology I try to match has to be
fairly simple and based on basic sorting.