HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
david galletti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:36:42 +0000
I was pondering a recent article about the archaeology of a mission station
in South Africa, and I got to thinking about the archaeology of conversion
to Christianity. Have there been any other examples of mission stations
excavated in the USA or abroad?

And there is the wider question of what effects would we expect to be caused
by conversions; as well as the obvious acceptqance of overtly Christian
material culture, is is possible to make more general cross-cultural
comparisons about the process of religion? What is the relationship between
Conversion and Globalism?

Some ideas for a hot summers day!

dave galletti