HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Dortch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 09:57:25 +0800
Michael
With regard to item no. 2, last February I posed a similar question to
Histarch. If you can access the Histarch archives, you may find a fuller
discussion. To summarise, Garry Vines said that ICI stamped cartridge cases
post-date 1926, the year of the formation of the company; other people
indicated that .22 calibre shells have been around since the late 19th C.
The style of the ICI logo can indicate a more precise 20th C date. Charles
Adkins was kind enough to e-mail me pictures of ICI headstamps from an
unpublished guide produced by one George Kass in the US. Let me know
off-list if you would like a copy.
Cheers
Joe Dortch