HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:26:31 +0100
Dear Roderick,

I'd agree with Frances Kemmish's mail. The most probable interpretation is
that 'warehouse' refers to a storeroom at the back of a shop, and that a
'warehouse coat' is the kind of cotton blend coat which were commonly
worn by shopkeepers from ?1920s until the 1960s-70s in the UK. You still
occasionally see them worn by older shopkeepers in more traditional grocers,
ironmongers, etc. - anywhere where items may have to be retrieved from a
dusty back room.

They are three-quarter length and typically light brown in colour. Of course
today almost entirely replaced by the matching bright shirts, trousers and
baseball caps of the modern DIY superstore...

Dan Hicks
University of Bristol