HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:35:17 +1100
Todd

Not specifically to do with trade goods as artefacts but the cultural
landscape they sit within - there has been some work done on the Murray
River border of NSW / Victoria during the 19th century, when inter-colonial
trade was regulated by customs houses.  Brenda Wade of New England
University Dept of Archaeology began a thesis examining the material
evidence of the customs establishments and the 'border zone' along the
Murray.  Dont know whether she has finished it.

there has also been some survey work carried out as Federation grant
research projects on the same sort of topic.

[for foreign readers New South Wales and Victoria were separate colonies of
Britain and treated inter-colonial trade as export / import with duties,
tariffs etc payable.  Federation in 1901 specifically forbade impediments to
trade when the colonies became states.  During the 19th C there was an
active secession movement just north of the Murray, as Melbourne was closer
in miles, money and ideology that Sydney]
Denis Gojak
Historical Archaeologist
National Parks and Wildlife Service of NSW
PO Box 1967
Hurstville NSW 2220
AUSTRALIA

Ph:     +61 2 9585 6469