HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:48:54 +0100
A jaded psycho-hippy writes:

Charles Adkins wrote,

>Ladies and Gentlemen: when did it become acceptible to excuse yourself from
>acceptable social standards of behavior because you worked hard and long
>hours.  If you are in the employment of a company or person, your conduct
>on and off the job is directly associeted with your employer.  Employers
>don't like employees that lower their social standing in the community and
>I for one would rather work with people of the "highest standards of
>conduct both personally and professionally" than associate with social
>deviants.

Š and I, for one, would really rather work for, and perhaps more
importantly with, people who could mind their own business thank you
very much. If someone can do their job and they do it, then their
private life is their own as far as I'm concerned. Of course there
are limits; rape, murder, as we all know, are "just a shout away".
However, the terms used in the above post are nowhere near rigorous
enough and far too open to what I would regard as socially deviant
misinterpretation. Also, such thinking surely has to cut both ways.
What recourse have I if my employer ever falls below the "highest
standards of conduct both personally and professionally". Very
little, I suspect.

Cheers,

Alan