HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Dortch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:32:43 +0800
Dear list members
I am trying to sort out stratigraphy of a late prehistoric period rock
shelter site in s-w Australia, where occupation by various people seems to
have continued into the 19th and 20th C. Some of the uppermost hearth
layers in the floor deposit contain modern artefacts, mostly 0.22" rifle
shells, which may be mixed in from above, or else indicate a young age for
the hearths. Can anyone tell me when this calibre began to be manufactured
and whether it became widespread quickly? If it was not popular until the
last few decades I might suspect mixing, as the hearth layers also contain
stone artefacts. Some shells have the manufacturer's imprint, "ICI", which
may be an additional clue. Any published reference would also be much
appreciated.
Cheers
Joe Dortch