HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:24:00 +0000
Dear Carl,

I can't resist the tempation to respond to the sight of a generic term used for
any ceramic type.

It really is time that we consign these out-dated collectors' terms to the
dustbin (?trash can) and start to think about our ceramics objectively. Terms
related to specific makers - Astbury ware or Astbury-type, Whieldon-type,
Elers-type, etc. - only serve to confuse the serious student and to disguise
realities about dating and manufacture. Equally, those linked to the place of
manufacture - Jackfield-type ware, Buckley ware, etc. - limit our vision of the
wider (frequently much wider) manufacture of significant ceramic types in the
UK and beyond.

Sorry, but we have been banging on about this at Stoke for more than a decade.
I understand that many collectors and decorative arts people will be slow to
adjust to objective and relevant terminology for ceramics - they are tied in to
a body of literature which only serves to perpetuate ceramic myth and
misinformation - but as a profession, we depend upon a clear understanding our
our most fundamental form of material evidence. We have to be able to
communicate to each other in a common language (keep it simple, I say) and to
be able to recognise those basic terms for the material which will have a
direct bearing upon the way we interpret our sites and their formation.

I do not wish to suggest that we at Stoke have all the answers - far from it -
but there is a ceramics dialogue going on within (and outside) the
archaeological profession in the UK, the US and beyond. This will, I am
confident, result in a simple standard terminology for the majority of common
British ware-types encountered on historic sites.

Oh yes, for 'Astbury-type' read red earthenware or redware. Refined,
twice-fired lead-glazed red earthenwares make their entry onto the ceramic
stage around 1720 and can be found virutally unchanged in form and decoration
until the 1760s, by which time they are increasingly the vehicles for a range
of engine-turned decoration. A gradual down-market move takes them into the
19th century, by which time we see some pretty shabby stuff. The use of
red-firing clay for refined wares continues, however, as has been discussed in
connection with the red-bodied lustre wares; there are also the mid to late
19th-century plain black teapots which are ubiquitous, and then the late
19th-/early 20th-century 'Jackfield wares' [this term has got to go!] with
enamelled decoaration and gilding which seem to turn up in every antique shop.

Apologies for the rant

David Barker

In a message dated 8/5/1999 9:47:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,