HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 21:24:16 +0100
Suggested roundatable lunch
Is there a distinctive European perspective within historical
archaeology?

The ideas would be to discuss whether there can be one or more
distinctive European approaches to historical archaeology. Is global
archaeology a purely American perspective on the world. To what extent
do should we diverge in Europe from north American approaches given
different histories and social conditions in Europe especially our
shared medieval heritage. With the expansion of the EEC will European
archaeology come together. To what extent are the divides between
protestant, catholic and orthodox or between north and Mediterranean
still active in diverging European perspectives. How divergent are the
archaeologies of colonialising from colonialised societies.

The reason for including such a round table is the current discussion on
global archaeology which is normally discussed from as North American
perspective. this discussion would aim to address unity/disunity from a
differing geographical perspective.

paul courtney
20 Lytton rd
leicester
LE2 1WJ

In message <[log in to unmask]>, William Moss
<[log in to unmask]> writes

Paul Courtney
Leicester UK