HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Margaret Green <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:26:27 -0400
The blue stripes are interesting. I don't know if this was
true about flour sacks, but the farm animal feed bags were
used for clothing.
  Sometime in the early 1900's the feed/grain companies
realized that the woven cotton bags themselves could help
the farmers. They started making them in very nice, pretty,
patterned prints. The identifying printed labels washed off.
The farmer could buy several of the same pattern, which
would give his wife enough to make a dress. One or two of
the same pattern would make a blouse or shirt. She would
wash the bags, split the seam and use them instead of buying
fabric.
  My mother made some nice clothes for me from my
grandfather's chicken feed bags in the 1940's.
  Pioneer is a farm crop seed company. They probably also
sold animal feed and possibly flour earlier.
  http://www.pioneer.com/pioneer_info/index.htm
Marge Green