HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 16:32:59 -0600
Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I was wondering if anyone out there has
something I can steal --- 'er ----- borrow.  <g>

I need a "sound bite" for work with the general public.  I'm looking for a
simple succinct statement of why archaeology is more than artifacts.  A
statement that stresses context and careful excavation.   I'm looking for a
proven and successful short "sound bite" that resonates well with the
general public  -   especially the public that thinks archaeology is all
about artifacts and that its o.k. to bulldoze an area if you just pick the
whole bottles out of the backfill.

I know we can all go on and on about this but I need it boiled  down to its
essence for those "short attention span" moments.  (like when you have to
talk to politicians or reporters)
I need something eloquent but yet short, simple, and with a successful track
record.   Exactly the kind of thing that would make it onto the 6 o'clock
news report or into the bold print in the newspaper.  Short, sweet, catchy.

I know that many of you that work with the public have probably "field
tested" a number of approaches and have some favorites. Are you willing to
share with the list?  I know many of us get caught with a camera in our
faces and could sure use a sure-fire rehearsed sound-bite for "off -
the-cuff" situations.

Linda Derry ([log in to unmask])
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
Alabama Historical Commission